If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy you might think that abortion or parenting are really the only two choices. Adoption may never really enter your mind. If it is brought up your first thought might be, “I could never give my baby away”.
HOWEVER, the TRUTH is:
Adoption is really about choosing a plan that can give your baby the gift of life, adoptive parents to provide a stable family, and a future. It is not an easy decision, but the good news is that YOU have lots of choices to customize the adoption to your needs and desires and you will have lots of support along the way.
YOU are the one who can choose whether to have an OPEN or CLOSED adoption or even something in between (semi-open), depending on how much contact you desire to have with your baby and the adoptive parents. A “closed” adoption is one in which there is no contact with the adoptive family, although the agency will provide information and answer questions about them.
As a birth mom in an OPEN adoption you can choose:
- Your child’s parents from a list of thoroughly assessed and screened applicants.
- To email, talk to, or even meet the adoptive parents before your baby is born.
- To name your baby and decide how things will be handled in the labor and delivery room.
- To choose to have ongoing contact including photos, phone calls, email, text, and even visits.
Also, at most adoption agencies:
- Adoptive services are FREE to the birth mother
- Assistance with medical and living expenses is available in many cases.
- Free confidential counseling is available no matter what you decide.
- You can make the final decision about adoption after the baby is born.
Adoption gives a life-giving alternative to women who are not prepared for parenting, or who do not want to interrupt their education or career plans. As an alternate option to abortion and parenting, an open adoption provides a way to experience “the joy of knowing your child, seeing how your child is growing and changing and seeing who they become”.
Options Health is a safe place where you can confidentially come and discuss sexual health, pregnancy, and relationship issues with one of our client advocates. Feel free to contact us today to take advantage of our free services, including pregnancy testing, ultrasounds, abortion consultation, options counseling, and even after abortion counseling. We are here for you and ready to listen!
“I might consider adoption if…” booklet by Julie Stobbe 2012 Focus on the Family.
You might think …”I could never give my baby away” Lifetime Adoption brochure
AdoptHelp brochure – “Pregnant? Explore Adoption”
“Ten Questions Expectant Mothers Ask about Adoption” Bethany brochure